Sunday, March 9, 2014

Grindr on HIV Advocacy: Ban Remains If You Continue Prevention Message

Last week, I wrote about being banned from Grindr because I posted HIV prevention info on my profile. Less than 24 hours after I posted my blog to Facebook, I received an email from Robert at Grindr notifying me my ban had been lifted. Yay, success! I thought, I can go back to doing what I was doing. Not so fast.

click for larger
Robert at Grindr was very clear that if I continued posting HIV prevention info, I'd be permanently banned, a violation of its goods and services guidelines. He didn't answer my other questions.

At the same time, Grindr posted on Facebook two pieces about HIV prevention. Check out the hashtags #grindrPoz and #grindrhealth to trace the history of Grindr's posts about HIV information prior to my blog post. (click below for larger)

For a second, I thought this was progress. For the most part, Grindr's FB page is photos of sweaty, shirtless guys playing football and crocheting. (Grindr FB Page Now, after my post, there were two posts about HIV prevention. Maybe something was happening. And then a day later? Sweaty, horny guys doing calculus. It's hard to say if my  blog about being banned and Grindr's FB post was a coincidence or damage control. (I'm leaning toward the latter.) I'm not sure I care. I was excited that Grindr was starting to look at the HIV prevention more seriously. It just didn't last very long.

Not soon after,  the following article appeared on The Huffington Post: Gay Politicians Use Grindr to Get Votes

Two politicians using their Grindr profile to advertise an election campaign doesn't violate Grindr's good and services guidelines, but HIV prevention info does? I wonder if they got banned?

So, Joel Simkhai, and the rest of the folks at Grindr, I ask the question again. What are you going to do about HIV prevention? Grindr could be an important and integral part of getting new HIV prevention message to millions of people. It could help change the course of a disease and cement Grindr's reputation as an innovator in mobile apps and also in HIV advocacy, awareness and prevention. It could change the face of HIV forever. Grindr has to do more. It needs to recognize its influence and responsibility and create meaningful ways to help the people who use Grindr to do more than just get on and get off.  There's no waiting. The time is now.

Contact Grindr here and ask for HIV Prevention info on its mobile app: Tell Grindr You Want HIV/PrEP/PEP Info On Your Phone

Post the graphics below to you Grindr,  Instagram, or most other social media outlets.
#ICARE









No comments:

Post a Comment